So last night Malone and I attended our 3rd birthing class. Don't worry, it was allowed. I took it really easy and the class was at the hospital.
At this class we took a "tour" (some areas we just got to look through windows because of germs) of the hospital's NICU, the Labor and Delivery floor, and the floor where they keep the moms and new babies. It was really reassuring to be able to see how well-equipped the NICU is. Right now the NICU is staffed to care for newborns as early as 32 weeks. However, they have the equipment and facilities to care for newborns even earlier. They just have to hire the staff to do it. So, according to our birth instructor the hospital is currently working on hiring said staff after which the NICU will be considered a Level III. (I know, that doesn't make sense to a lot of you, but that's ok. Just know that it's a very good thing.) What does that mean for us? Well, I know some of you have been asking if we'll ever consider having another biological child. Truthfully, we don't know yet. But, it is good to know that if we do decide to get pregnant again and we're still in this area, chances are good that this hospital will be well-prepared for me and my faulty cervix.
Anyway, that's probably pretty boring to most of you, so let me get to the good part. While we were taking our tour our birthing instructor had all the dads take a turn wearing a "sympathy belly." It weighs about 30 pounds and is supposed to give the wearer an idea of what it's like to carry around all that excess weight. Well, if you know my husband, you know that he's kind of a quiet, reserved man. Especially around people he doesn't know very well. I knew this was exactly the type of situation he avoids like the plague. But he was such a good sport! He took it all in stride and strapped on the belly and the "boobs." He was even the first man to take a turn.
Want to hear something even better? I happened to have my camera on me!!! This picture really puts a smile on my face. I just love this man!!!



1 comment:
You can always tell him that the comfort is that you get lots of pictures of him holding the baby later on!
Post a Comment