Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Monday, December 7, 2009

Devastation

First of all, I just want to say that this is not an invitation for anyone to bash me and my husband or even our former birthmom, J. If that is your intention after reading this post, please have the decency to restrain yourself. This is simply an opportunity for Malone and I to inform our family, friends, and acquaintances of what is happening.

Now on to the hard stuff. I won't include all the details because, frankly, that would be kind of pointless. So here it is in all its ugliness:

J has decided not to place with us. She has not decided to keep the baby, but will be placing her with another family instead. Why? Well, that's the million dollar question. Malone and I are still confused about that ourselves. When we asked J why, her reply was (and I quote) "I don't feel that it's fair that you guys have everything and I'm getting nothing." There were a number of other things that were said to us, but they all tied back to the perception she has that we have things that she doesn't have.

Right now Malone and I are feeling that we've had the rug pulled out from under us. We feel confused, betrayed, used, lonely, hurt, frustrated, angry, etc... We don't know how to begin to overcome all of this loss... again. It's hard to believe or understand that in just four years we have had to cope with infertility, the death of our son, the failed adoption of Jaida, and the failed adoption of the baby we planned to name Bryleigh. But although this is excruciatingly painful and tremendously difficult, we will learn to move on. We are sort of becoming experts in coping with these kinds of things.

Although we are feeling very hurt, we are not hateful towards J and we don't want any of you to be either. There are issues (some of which are medical) that we have no control over. That doesn't excuse some behavior, but it does help us understand a little bit.

For now we are sort of just retreating to each other. We are giving ourselves permission to grieve privately. We aren't ready to face a lot of questioning. It's enough to know that you are all praying for us and thinking of us.

My guess is that some of you are thinking, "Well, can J change her mind?" Yes, she can change her mind. But at this point we feel that our best course of action is to move forward under the assumption that her decision is permanent. It makes it easier to move on that way. And we are allowing ourselves to celebrate the baby that I'm expecting. The fact that I'm pregnant does not take away the feelings of loss that we are experiencing, but it does give us hope. We are choosing to focus on the hope rather than the loss.

18 comments:

Elizabeth and Brian said...

wow! How much pain does God want you to go through? Don't know what else to say except that I am sorry for the pain and hurt you are going through and I wish I could make it all better! Wow! I am just stunned. I hope that "J" will be bale to find whatever it is she needs/wants.

Elizabeth and Brian said...

Have to add, why would you think this post would cause people to bash you? I hope no one does that or tries to say something negative to you.

dust and kam said...

I am so sorry Malone and Brittany. It is so hard to go through all these emotions. Adoption is so hard and yet all so wonderful all in the same moment. Sending love to you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Malone and Brittany said...

Yeah, I kindof figure that for the most part people will be sensitive. But after Jaida's adoption failed we received a handful of terrible comments. Not from any of our family or close friends, but from people who just don't understand. That's why I threw in that little disclaimer at the beginning. Hope it works!

Savannah said...

I'm so sorry. Sending you love to help you over come this loss. I'm so sorry for all these tragic losses you seem to face. You and Malone are in my thoughts and prayers.

Elizabeth and Brian said...

Well, that males sense considering all those mean things people were trying to do to to us. Since I've changed my blog address and taken off the google search they haven't been bothering me.

Lyman Family said...

Oh my gosh, I am so, so sorry. I don't even know what to say. You guys have been through so much. Keeping you in our prayers.

Gail said...

Oh no Brittany! I know we have never met in person but I care for my dear infertile/adoption buddies so much. As soon as I saw the title of this post, I felt in my gut what you were going to say. I'm so sorry you're hurting! I hope your former b-mom finds what she wants out of all this. At the same time, yipee for the baby growing inside of you. There's no question as to where it will end up!

Erin Lafleur said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. My heart goes out to you and Malone. I pray that the comforting and enabling power of the atonement washes over you and you are both able to find the peace you are so desperately seeking right now. You are loved!

mytee sooperox said...

Karen and I were just talking about you today, hoping that things work, before I found out. I would be superstitious and say we jinxed you, but I know this went down way before today. So sorry. Looking forward to your new miracle baby though. It's been fun being pregnant the same time as you.

ColleenaMareena said...

I'm so sorry. I'm also sorry if I made things worse for you with my former comment; I didn't mean to be hurtful. Your family is in my prayers!

Alicia Jane said...

I am so so sorry to hear this Brittany (and Malone). Really, having just gone through this myself, I know there is nothing that I can say that will take away the pain or even the confusion as to why this happened. So, I will just tell you that you guys are in my prayers...stay strong (which I know you guys are from what I've read) and take care of that miracle growing inside of you. Much love, Alicia

Island mama said...

Brittany, you know our thoughts and prayers are with you. We are still stinging here with Cec's failed adoption, especially since the bmom is due any day now. It's so hard to not ask why but at the same time we know there's a plan much bigger than we can comprehend right now. (Darn that old free agency sometimes!) I hope you can find the peace in your heart that you need right now. We love you!

~Our Family~ said...

I'm so sorry and I'm sure your getting tired of hearing that too... I hope that J will find what she needs to find out and do what she must do. Adoption is so heart pulling sometimes.. My thoughts and prays are with you at this time... Take care

FRANK AND HEATHER MAILE said...

Oh Brittany, I am so sorry to hear this. You are in my prayers.Love ya!

OUR HAPPY FAMILY said...

I'm so sorry! Allowing yourself to experience your pain and loss is just what you'll need to do to heal. It's so hard as an adoptive parent before the child is born- with so much out of your control. I would never say something bad about you two or "J"! Her planning to place her baby for adoption is something to respect- even though it's so hard that it's not going to be with a different family than your own (like was planned.) It's enough to break your heart.
Not to undermine your loss, but I hope it continues to bring you hope and comfort that the child you carry now will no matter what, be eternally yours. Our prayers for the health of your baby and that she(?) will bring you much joy!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Brittany! I just can't even fathom how you are feeling. Just know that the Lord has a plan for you and you need to trust in Him. You have the great blessing of looking forward to birth of your little girl. Things will work out and the blessings will come....they already have! Hang in there!

Unknown said...

Devastated for you. I can honestly say I know exactly how you feel. Something I have never blogged about, but hopefully will someday. My heart is with you...hoping the pain eases quickly.

About Me

My photo
About us? Where can I begin? Our little family has been through more ups and downs than can be described here. It has been a roller coaster since day one. Join us as we continue on our crazy ride.