So yesterday we had our first interview with LDS Family Services! If I could describe my mentality now in two words, they would be "overwhelmed" and "excited." What a mountain of paperwork to complete! But our caseworker, we'll call her Angel, is amazing! She is super positive, and really motivated to help us get our approval pushed through in about 8 weeks. Now the responsibility is ours.
Angel can't get anything done until we complete some of the paperwork, so I started working last night. So far, we filled out the application for our background check, and need to go get our fingerprints taken for that to be done. Since the police department does this any day of the week, our goal is to have that turned in to LDSFS by Friday. I also started working on the AA Study.
Angel said that there are currently about 20 couples in our area whose files are active. Our area has a goal to complete 100 adoptions per year. They have completed about 80 so far. I'm not for sure what this means for our chances to be chosen, but hopefully it's good. But we told Angel last night that we aren't just looking for any child. We are looking for the right child for our family.
So I will be busy busy busy this week filling out paperwork. Then this weekend we'll be going to the marathon adoption certification class. Usually the classes span about a 6 week period, but they want to try condensing them down into two days. This is the first time they're doing it, so we're kind of like the guinea pigs. We will be attending the class on Friday from about 6:00 p.m. to about 8:30 p.m. and Saturday from about 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. It will be a long haul, but it will be really nice to just get them done. And hopefully it will just help to get us approved faster!
We will also be getting involved with our local chapter of FSA (Families Supporting Adoption). They have a lot of people who have volunteered to help couples who are filling out the paperwork, or support for waiting families, or pretty much anything else we may need.
So... buckle in folks. We're going for a bumpy ride. I'll keep you all posted!
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Malone and Brittany
- About us? Where can I begin? Our little family has been through more ups and downs than can be described here. It has been a roller coaster since day one. Join us as we continue on our crazy ride.


4 comments:
That really is exciting! Adoption is amazing. You'll be approved before you know it! It is a lot of paperwork and a lot of thinking.... but totally worth it.
p.s. I know that you are totally not even thinking about this yet - but when you get approved... if you make pass-along cards or anything, I would love to post a few at our local high school. We made a little adoption board. You never know. :)
If you would like my address - email me.
dustynkamieATgmailDOTcom
Good Luck!
I kept checking your blog all day yesterday I was sooo excited to hear how everything went. Hooray for making it through another step! Keep going.
Oh and I love your comment about not just finding any baby but the right child for your family. :)
resend me your address, I am having a hard time now with the one year anniversary if your know what. I have stuff to send you on adoption.
Post a Comment